Monday, July 1, 2013

A steady pace.

I've managed to keep up hobby work at a steady pace. I have just finished the boomhowlers and squire. Reinholdt and another man-o-war are halfway done. I think I'll do the shocktroopers one at a time, so I can at least play with 3 when they're done. I have also added some ballast to the bases of what Khador I have painted. Not 100% sure what they will look like, but more than likely a temperate forrest with some snow clumps. I think I'll trim the bases with brown though. Two shades to identify the back and front arc. Assembly-wise, I've got some gun mages and widowmakers to put together and paint next. I was worried about greenstuffing bandanas on the smaller models....but I think I found a way to cheat. I'm going to apply a few layers of liquid greenstuff. Folds and wrinkles in the fabric will be detailed by the paint I put on them.

I have picked up a copy of the rulebook finally. I have also managed to get the Khador force book, Khador tokens, and some card sleeves. I have some red adepticon 2012 dice and dry erase markers to use as well. Now I just need to get some objective and wrecked warjack markers. I wonder if I should make a generic destroyed warjack and cast it... Going through my bitz has turned up a few scraps that can be used for terrain as well. Some low walls and building corners will add to the GW forrest and large hill I have. I'll need a battle mat too once I begin to focus on terrain.

I'm having fun getting everything together for Warmachine. I have managed to sell some painted stuff and trade 40K models for Warmachine. I should have some Skorne on the way to add to the Legion battle box I got from adepticon. If this pace keeps up, I'll need more Khador models within a month. But for now, I'm happy with a small force. I need to finish reading the rules and play some friendly learner games. I'm eager to actually play.

I have found a few things that I don't really enjoy about Warmachine though... The plastic models aren't that good. They are not worth their price. 85$ for ironfang pikemen is out of line. And the rulebook intro is full of adolescent machismo. "Play like you have a pair." is sexist. I like the message, but not how it's delivered. I feel the whole outlook and way the game is presented overlooks the hobby aspect. I'll give the game some time before I weigh-in on the painting. I want to give Warmachine the benefit of the doubt.



No comments:

Post a Comment